Parish History

  • The cornerstone of St. Joseph's Catholic Church was laid in 1903, with the building being completed in that same year at an approximate cost of $12,000.
  • Reverend Father J.J. McCabe celebrated the first mass in our new church on Christmas Day of 1903.
  • The Pewamo Parish had been a mission of St. John the Baptist Church of Hubbardston; but in 1906 we received our first resident pastor, Reverend Father Stephen Wittliff.  Our present rectory was built at this time.
  • In 1913 the first Catholic School was built, and shortly thereafter, the parish obtained the Dominican Sisters of Adrian as teachers in the school.
  • Additional property was purchased in 1941 for a parking lot and an addition to the school playground.
  • A convent was built for the Sisters at a cost of $15,000 in 1942.
  • In 1951 the church was enlarged and redecorated at a total cost of $17,000.  A new electric organ was also purchased after the redecorating.
  • In 1959 the original Catholic school was razed and construction for our current school began.
  • In June of 1993 a six-month project began to expand our school.  At a cost of $350,000, two new classrooms were added, our library was enlarged to include a computer lab, and the size of the former gymnasium was doubled.  The new gymnasium also serves as our Parish Center.  This project was made possible by donations alumni also coming forward with contributions.
  • In June of 1996 the exteriors of our older parish buildings were given some much-needed attention, with the brick being cleaned and tuck-pointed.  This project was completed at a cost of $82,000.
  • Starting in the year 2000, all our statues were refurbished.  At the present, each of the seven large statues has been done, including our Stations of the Cross.
  • The year 2000 was also the time second grade was added to the Catholic School, which had previously been a 3rd through 8th grade school.  In the fall of 2003, there were 110 students enrolled in St. Joseph Catholic School.
  • 2002 was another big year for St. Joseph Church, with a complete renovation of its interior as well as some exterior reparis and repainting.  The total cost of repairs and renovation was approximately $450,000.
  • 2003 St. Joseph's Parish celebrated 100 years of faith and over 90 years of Catholic education.

Search Site